Migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 with Wagento
Brent PetersonFebruary 7, 2020
Wagento developers understand that migrating from M1 to M2 can sound like a daunting task to most business owners, so they’re happy to help you throughout the migration process. The first step simply involves understanding the basics of migrating and how to prepare for each stage.
How the Migration Process Works
In the DevDocs Migration Guide, it explains that there are three distinct phases used to transfer all data from Magento 1 to Magento 2. The phases are completed in this order with the Data Migration Tool:
- Settings Mode. This mode migrates the system configuration and website-related settings.
- Data Mode. Transfers database assets in bulk.
- Delta Mode. Transfers final small details and changes made since the last run, such as new orders placed or new customers.
In each mode, there are three steps that must be completed to make sure that all data gets transferred accurately. The process includes these stages, which always need to be applied in this precise order:
- Integrity Check. This step involves comparing details like the table field names, types, and other information to ensure that the Magento 1 and Magento 2 data structures are compatible.
- Data Transfer. As the name suggests, this phase transfers each set of data, table by table, from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
- Volume Check. As a measure to prevent any data from being lost, this final phase will compare the number of records between tables to give you proof that the transfer was a success.
XML map files are the baseline of each step of the data migration process. The Data Migration Tool utilizes these map files to effectively translate various Magento 1 data structures into tables that will function on Magento 2. If there are no differences between data structures in certain steps, then the information will be transferred simply as-is to Magento 2.
Where to Get Started
If you’re ready to upgrade your site to the improved Magento 2 platform, you can download the eBook, “Your Fast-Track Migration Checklist” by simply signing up with your email. This guide, combined with expert advice from Magento developers, will help you feel confident while planning and running your M1 to M2 store migration.
Let's build something together!
Contact us today to get your project started and hear more about all the awesome things we can do for you!
Become the Next Success Story